Welcome! I promised the MB tutorials so let’s start with wings, the part so many are confused about! This will go through the basic steps I use, but be aware that while drawing you tend to drift and don’t always use the same exact foundation every time. Let’s get started!
This piece is my part for day three of Ship a Day (SilverFir). This one is SilverLake’s wing with one of DawnFir’s feathers stuck in it.
1. First start out with your basic sketch. This is the foundation of every drawing. Use basic lines and circles. Keep in kind that in full bodies the wings are attached to the leg with bones, as shown in step three.
2. Now add in the fuller sketch for the feathers and bones. There may need to be several of these sketches for it to look right, redo step two as many times as you need to. Remember, nobody has perfect sketches.
1. The first lineart, trace the sketch with a thin Line. Don’t worry about making it smooth, you’ll erase it in a second anyways. As you can see I sketched two lines to show where I’d start sketching the leg’s anatomy IF this piece had shown the leg. I haven’t added DawnFir’s feather because I want the feather to be very apparently not part of the wing.
2. Fuller lineart, work on making it a bit smoother. If the wing has markings add them now. I left a space in between feathers to add DawnFir’s, that’s why it looks so strange.
3. DawnFir’s feather, NOT a usual part of my process. ;3 However, IT’S TIME TO COLOR!!!
1. Swatch, Swatch, SWATCH! I can not explain how important this is. Make sure your colors are right! silly enough I’ve always imagined SilverLake with blue tipped feathers, so I do incorporate that in her design. The three big markings in the red circle are for DawnFir’s feather, the small two are for SilverLake’s wing.
2. First color, just silvers and grays.
3. Faded the blue in SilverLake’s wings. Also DawnFir’s feather is colored! Not quite complete though...
4. Finishing touches. I deepened the blues and added more gray. I also slightly changed DawnFir’s feather.
FINISHED AND MUSIC
Song is if you’re gone by Rob Thomas.
i really hope you guys enjoyed this!!! I sure did <3